For those celebrating with beautifully decorated chocolate eggs this weekend we wanted to delve into why we crave this sweet delight.
Dark Chocolate actually can help elevate your mood. This is because it has been shown to increase your serotonin levels. Serotonin is a neurotransmitter that contributes to feelings of happiness, satiety and even pain reduction. In fact, many antidepressants work on elevating the levels of this exact neurotransmitter.
For those with a sweet tooth for chocolate, it may be your body letting you know that it needs more Magnesium. Chocolate contains high levels of magnesium. Try to curve the craving with a handful of nuts or greens which are also high in Magnesium or try a supplemental form. Transdermal magnesium lotions are quickly absorbed into the body.
SUGAR IS ADDICTIVE, VERY ADDICTIVE:
Sugar is an addictive substance and milk chocolate contains sugar. Sugar fuels every cell in the brain. Your brain also sees sugar as a reward, which makes you keep wanting more of it. The more you eat it, the more you reinforcing that reward, making it tough to break the habit. Make the change to sweeteners like Stevia that don’t pose risk of addiction.
WHY SUGAR SO READILY TURNS INTO FAT IN OUR BODIES…
Your body in order to protect you releases mass amounts of insulin when sugar is consumed in order to lower blood sugar levels. The problem is that large amounts of insulin release signal your body to store fat! In turn, your body (which produces dopamine as a pleasure response to sugar) craves more as of the resulting low blood sugar.
We have some tips to kick the cravings:
- Help balance your blood sugar with our REJEUVENATE Collagen Protein. This high quality lactose free formula digests more slowly in your system than sugars or carbs to help curb cravings and leave you fuller for longer.
- Make fibre your friend. High fibre foods keep you full, satiety you and they will not raise your blood sugar like chocolate will. Try adding 1 tsp of ground flax to your REJEUVENATE Collagen shake or make Chia Water with AQ HYDRATE electrolytes.
- Read labels. Be aware of hidden sources of sugars such as ketchup, yogurt, BBQ sauce and even many non-fat salad dressings
- Start the day right! You need protein, fats and carbs. These vital macronutrients are the first step in beating cravings.
- Drink more water, water is needed for proper metabolism. Chronic dehydration has been proven to cause sugar cravings and to increase fat storage in your body (potentially leading to conditions like elevated cholesterol and fatty liver)